Remodeling Vacant Units for Incoming Residents
We completed the remodeling of four vacant units in order to increase the base rent for these particular units. The remodeling consists of upgrades to units and implementing ADA design factors:
-Replaced existing kitchen cabinets and knobs with new cabinets for easy access.
-Replaced the countertops with a “granite like”, easy to clean, Formica.
-Installed new, non-slip, easy to clean, vinyl wood flooring throughout.
-Installed an ADA shower.
New Stratified Base Rent for Incoming Residents to Stern Village
We increased the base rent to $500 and $550 for the newly remodeled units.
Floors for the Community Room
New, non-skid wood-like floors were installed in the Community Room.
New Windows in the Congregate
Windows were replaced in thirty-six apartments and in the congregate office. The new windows are double pane, energy efficient and easy to open.
Paulette Mack and Jenn Gillis Honored by Senator Moore
Paulette and Jenn were award recipients of the 2017 Trumbull Integrity Awards by Senator Moore for making a positive impact in the Trumbull community through their work and volunteer efforts. Both were nominated by Stern Village resident Patricia Carter.
Chairs for the Community Room and Congregate Dining Room
New, sturdy and comfortable chairs were purchased for the Community Room and Congregate Dining Room.
The annual inspections were more detailed this year, heat pumps, mold inspections and overabundance of items were checked. Those who did not pass any part of their inspection were provided with letters outlining the issues and remediation.
We installed new, energy-saving, LED lights in the common areas of the congregate. The brighter lights have had a positive effect on the residents.
We selected a new laundry service provider to install and maintain front-loading washers and dryers, as well as a smart card system. The installation and training to use the new cards will take place January 25 and 26.
Stern Village Food Pantry
We have a well-stocked food pantry with non-perishable food items, laundry detergent, and paper products.
The Stern Village Resident Association and THA Staff held a Friendsgiving, whereby residents received turkeys, hams, and assorted potatoes and vegetables, stuffing, gravy, corn and other items, to allow our residents to make Thanksgiving. These items were donated by several THA and Trumbull residents, Stop & Shop, Stew Leonard’s, and the International Food Bazarre.
The Trumbull Housing Corporation
A 501(c) 3 was established for the Trumbull Housing Corporation, allowing us to accept donations and contributions for various initiatives at Stern Village. Harriet Polansky, Executive Director, has been applying for grants.
Harriet Polansky participated in the Annual ConnNAHRO Convention for Executive Directors of Connecticut Public Housing. The information received and connections made is invaluable to the THA.
The THA Annual Picnic
This year’s THA Annual Resident Picnic was a huge success. We had more residents attending and the THA received many donations that paid for all the costs involved.
The Town of Trumbull has provided us with Nurse Stephanie, at no charge. Stephanie is on-site every Wednesday and can be found in the Community Room and in the Congregate.
Harriet’s Monthly Tuesday Tea
Every month, Harriet Polansky, Executive Director, meets with the residents to provide updates and discuss important issues. ServPro has attended some of the meetings to discuss mold prevention. Jeff and Rene, THA Maintenance, have also discussed mold removal with the residents. We have conducted trainings sessions on how to set your heat pump and Jeff Barry from Barry Associates discussed using the heat pump remote control.
A new, regulation pool table, pool cues, chairs and accessories was donated to the Community Room for all residents to enjoy.
Personal Grocery Shoppers
Stern Village residents can now receive custom and personalized grocery shopping each week through the Kennedy Center. Residents can provide a grocery list, coupons and money to Paulette Mack, THA Resident Services Coordinator and The Kennedy Center will shop and deliver groceries and residents’ change.
- Yarn Arts and Chair Exercise Classes are held weekly in the Congregate for all THA residents.
- Art Therapy Crafts are taught by Allison Spitzer-London bi-weekly in the Congregate.
- Lisa Allabal from SWCAA discussed Medicare and Medicaid.
- Crossroads Community Church provided a luncheon with music for residents
- Each month, members of the Long Hill Garden Club work with residents to create beautiful, floral arrangements and they discuss the plants and flowers being used.
- Pot Luck Stern Village Resident Association Luncheon to Welcome New Residents.
- Lena from Medical Arts Pharmacy discussed medication use and provided treats.
- Romy Ganser, Wellness Coach, accompanied residents to dine at the Cracker Barrel. She also accompanied the residents to Silverman’s Farm for apple picking.
- Nick Vertucci, Board Member for the Stern Village Resident Association, plays monthly movie trivia games with the residents.
- The Tuesday Morning Men’s Coffee & Conversation Club is very active and gaining new members.
- Leeann Patrick of Crossroads Church sang Christmas Carols with our residents.
- Geri Westover, Senior Benefits Consultant, discussed cuts in the Medicare savings program.
- Holiday Party for Villagers, sponsored by ServPro, was well-received.
- Crossroads Church sang Christmas Carols and provided desserts to our resident.