Trumbull Housing Authority
March 24, 2014
Community Room of Stern Village
Commissioners Present: Linda Nassrah, Suzanne Donofrio, Susan Fatse and Thelma Burr.
Also present Executive Director Harriet Polansky.
The meeting was called to order at 4:06 pm by Commissioner Nassrah. Roll call was conducted followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. Ms. Nassrah announced the resignation of Linda Scarpantonio from the Commission due to other commitments. They are actively looking for a replacement.
Ms. Nassrah presented several revisions to the minutes of the Trumbull Housing Authority meeting on February 24,
2014 as follows:
- All director(s) should be changed to commissioner(s).
- Also present should be a separate line.
- Under Past Minutes – Chairman changed to Chairwoman and the word “meeting” placed after Trumbull Housing Authority.
- Executive Director Report – should read “Director’s”.
- Executive Director’s Report, 6th paragraph, should reflect that the $140 is the cost savings each time fill-in cooks are used.
- Under New Business #1 – should read “Mrs. Polansky noted references have been reviewed. Edgerton has previously done work at the congregate. Mrs. Polansky has been pleased with their response times and fees.”
- Under New Business #2 – should read “THA Bylaws: This agenda items was tabled until the next meeting.”
Ms. Nassrah moved that the minutes be approved as corrected, seconded by Ms. Donofrio and approved unanimously.
Bills and Communications
Mrs. Burr noted all payments for the month of March have been made.
Executive Director’s Report
Mrs. Polansky reported that for the eight months ending in February 2014, Stern Village and Stern Center had an overall loss of $3,058. Costs appear to be in line with our anticipated costs for all the services anticipated in the budget for the entire year. This loss can be attributed at the present time to a decrease in income due to vacancies. We are anticipating that the vacancies will diminish in the coming months and that the new rent schedule for the new tenants will alleviate this loss.
Some expenses are higher, such an medical insurance, electricity, water, cable TV, and maintenance supplies, which are being offset by lower costs to date in property insurance premiums, contract services, discontinuing catering services, outside accountant and audit fees. All these costs should even out by the end of the fiscal year because of timing issues with the budget preparation.
Reserve balance is over $1,702,000 which is approximately $7,746 for each unit in the complex. Overall cash position as of February 28, 2014 shows a balance of $1,639.00. Accounts Payable is approximately $27,182. We are in a strong position to move forward and hope to make improvements to Stern Village and the Congregate.
Mrs. Polansky noted she has worked very hard to change the culture of Stern Village over the past year by having an open door policy where she meets with residents to discuss any subject or to answer any questions. Many of the residents have regularly attended the monthly Tuesday Tea where she provides updates on what is happening at the Village and discusses issues such as garbage, lighting, and improvements. She is always keeping the residents posted and updated. She noted there are some residents who do not have accurate information but are speaking on various topics. She encouraged all residents to come to her for clarification.
The following updates were presented:
- The Trumbull Rotary Club is funding new directional signs for Stern village. Their vendor will be working on the signs this week. Digital proofs will be approved soon.
- Please do not throw garbage into the dumpster area or go through the dumpster. If residents are throwing things away, there is a reason. The scrap metal kept near the Maintenance Garage is not for the taking.
- Aquarion will return to assess the remaining apartments. Residents will be notified.
Mrs. Polansky stated that based on the Capital Needs Assessment that was conducted prior to her coming on board and the
many other improvements that are needed, she must start the strategic planning and development process and determine the right funding sources to make the necessary upgrades in Stern Village. This is a lengthy, challenging and demanding task. We have the full support of CHFA and DOH. In order to do this, we need the assistance of a program services development firm. Mrs. Polansky introduced Mr. Bruce Whitaker and Mr. Frank Stellato of Millennium Group to present to the residents at the meeting an overview of their services as it relates to the improvement and design of Village. This presentation showed other resident facilities they have designed and updated within CT including resident facilities, common areas and grounds. Some of the commissioners and Mrs. Polansky have visited these other facilities. A question and answer period was held regarding the Stern Village project. Motion was made by Ms. Nassrah that we vote to select Millennium Group for finding funds for this long term project. Motion seconded by Mrs. Burr and approved unanimously. We now can move forward with them on this project.
- THA Bylaws – Ms. Nassrah felt that after reviewing them, there are still some changes that need to be made. Ms. Nassrah moved to table the adoption of the bylaws until next month’s meeting. Seconded by Mrs. Burr and approved unanimously.
- Health/Dental Insurance – this section of the employee handbook has been reviewed. Motion was made by Ms. Nassrah to omit the section in the employee handbook regarding health and dental insurance for full-time employees. Seconded by Mrs. Burr and approved unanimously.
Bob stated Mrs. Polansky and Neil were doing such a good job. They are making this place better to live in.
Gus agreed with Bob and is looking forward to the new “millennium”.
Paul commented that he would miss Mrs. Scarpantonio and would like to see Ms. Nassrah as chairwoman. He also discussed lighting concerns. Ms. Nassrah noted his concerns would be brought to the attention of UI when they are finished with the project should the concerns still exist at that time.
There being no further business, motion was made by Ms. Nassrah, seconded by Mrs. Donofrio, to adjourn the meeting at 5:25pm. Approved unanimously.
The above minutes are considered a draft until they are approved at the next meeting of the Trumbull Housing Authority.
I’ve worked very hard to change the culture of Stern Village over the past year by having an open door policy whereby I meet with residents to discuss any subject or answer questions.
Many of the residents here today have regularly attended my monthly Tuesday’s Tea with Harriet. I update residents on what’s happening at Stern Village and we discuss issues like garbage, lighting, improvements to be made, and the like. I keep the residents posted and updated.
If you don’t come to my Tuesday’s Tea or the many other activities at Stern Village, you are really missing out.
There a rumor makers who are doing the residents a disservice. These people don’t have the facts or know what they are talking about. Come to me for clarification.
-The Trumbull Rotary Club is funding new directional signs for Stern Village. Their vendor will
be working on the signs this week and I will see digital proofs to approve shortly.
-Please do not throw garbage into the dumpster area or go through the dumpster looking for stuff.
If people are throwing things away, there’s a reason for it.
-We collect scrap metal that kept near the Maintenance Garage. This is not for the taking.
-Aquarion will be back to assess the remaining apartments and I’ll advise you when that will happen.
Based on the Capital Needs Assessment that was done prior to me coming on board and the many other improvements that are needed, we must start the strategic planning and development process and determine the right funding sources to make the necessary upgrades in Stern Village.
This is a lengthy, challenging and demanding task.
We have the full support of CHFA and DOH.
In order to do so, we need the assistance of a program services development firm.
I would like to introduce Bruce Whitaker and Frank Stellato of Millennium.